Thursday, June 01, 2006

Run Fast, Pass Fast... Think Faster

Usual, Teapot, Ninja, SD, SL, SR, Jam, Quickie, Def Jam…
We’ve come a long way since “punch up 3 times then swing the ball lah”. I guess most of us already have a very strong idea on how touch should be played and most likely, it’s different for different players.

My idea of it keeps on changing as I play more games and I think it’s not about how fast you can burn the other player, or how many sidesteps you can pull out of the bag. I think it’s about how much faster you can think and react in the game.

Think about it, how many times in the middle of the game did you find yourself wondering, “Crap, where am I supposed to run again”? And in that split second, "TOUCCCCHHH!!!"

I guess, if we are going to be a serious kick-ass touch team, working on the mental aspects of the game should bring us much closer to that goal. Understanding why some plays are made, is most important because in that way instead of just having 1 or 2 playmakers, we have 6 players who can make the right calls at any time. Our opponents will be creamed every single time they play us because we never stop hitting them at the right spots. That would really bring our level of play up several notches and not to mention, make us look really good doing it.


"...these young guys don't realize how much of the game is played in your head. There are a million ways to compensate when one of your physical skills start to diminish..."
- Michael Jordan

So this is just my 5-cents take on what we can do to really make a difference to the team. It might not be correct because what the heck do I know, but I do hope it gives everyone something to think about. So, let’s see more numbers in training eh…

cause it’s just not the same without YOU.

No comments: